Please log public abuse and harrassment here...

News on the Sophie Campaign and other related cases.

Moderator: WGWMods

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Please log public abuse and harrassment here...

Post by Varney » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:40 pm

Not a debate and I haven't quite got time to explain my reasons right now, suffice to say, its for a good cause, I promise.

I'd like to hear about instances of abuse directed at you, just for being who you are and walking around, dressed how you please.

You don't have to try and pin it on any social group or attempt to understand the reasons behind it, but it's helpful if you can describe the people who have shown aggression towards you and what they were saying and doing at the time.

I would really be grateful for a list of instances, where you have felt victimised or bullied for your appearance and the way you were dressed, either physically OR intellectually.

Please include instances of prejudice and abuse in schools, the work place and any other public areas or institutions.

I know this is a painful subject for many; especially in light of the trial which is ongoing at this very time; but I have my reasons, and I promise to do the best I can with this information.

Thank you.
Last edited by Varney on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What you gone do now, muchacha?

strangefish
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by strangefish » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:02 pm

metal bar over the head walking through a birmingham subway would probaly be the worst, couple of muggings (both failed) otherwise usual name calling, being spat at etc...
that's why I tend to seem a little aggresive when I am just standing my ground
official smut monger
women are bad...but goth women...cuter but there's always an imbalance isn't there? :lol:

X-Bumble
Jaffa Cake Snaffler

Post by X-Bumble » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:11 pm

Jumped by 2 youths in Barnet in 1991 with 8 of their friends looking on.

Sustained major bruising to ribs, gashed eyes, severely beaten jaw.

When they got hauled up in court they said;

'He was stocky looking Goth so we wanted to see if we could take him down'
"You've got a piece of metal stuck in your brain. I can't believe you're still alive."

Spooky
Jaffa Cake Snaffler

Post by Spooky » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:16 pm

X-Bumble wrote:Jumped by 2 youths in Barnet in 1991 with 8 of their friends looking on.

Sustained major bruising to ribs, gashed eyes, severely beaten jaw.

When they got hauled up in court they said;

'He was stocky looking Goth so we wanted to see if we could take him down'

OMG! :shock: :(
You only die once, may as well live a little first.

MrMrsHedgehog
Wants a Jaffa Cake

Post by MrMrsHedgehog » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:34 pm

Don't know if it counts as abuse for the purposes of your request, because it's so laughable really, but several times we have been walking along holding hands and had people drive past shouting "lesbians" at us. Seems some people can't quite get their heads round a man with long blonde hair, despite not being dressed atall feminine.

Dave-il-man
Full to Bursting with Lovely Jaffa Cakes

Post by Dave-il-man » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:51 pm

I have been lucky but then i don't really dress gothy.

As a youngster i got plenty of aggro due to my size i was the smallest in my year, right through school. As much as they gave it i would sneak back and hit them on their head with a plank of wood or something like that.
Word got round not to bother me as i would seek revenge.

Cowardly Bullies that is all they are no matter what the reason.
http://www.myspace.com/david66stringer
ImageImage
i am who i am so like it or lump it

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:52 pm

MrMrsHedgehog wrote:Don't know if it counts as abuse for the purposes of your request, because it's so laughable really, but several times we have been walking along holding hands and had people drive past shouting "lesbians" at us. Seems some people can't quite get their heads round a man with long blonde hair, despite not being dressed atall feminine.

No Hedgehog, I do not find it laughable at all. Very much the opposite. Often we keep quiet when we deem the abuse to be trivial, but when it repeats often, it can grind a person down over a length of time. The sexuality remark shows us that dislike for subculture runs parallel to homophobia. That is the purpose of this thread - to out such things so we can examine them in more detail.

Thanks for your input, guys... Please keep it coming...

V
Last edited by Varney on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Pushed down a flight of concrete stairs, woke up in hospital. Attacked on several occasions resulting in broken ribs, black eyes, chipped teeth.. too many to list from the punk days.

Verbal abuse is almost a daily thing in Colchester. (or as Devilish Presley call it, Chavganistan).
Nostalgia and Recollection back for November WGW - tickets on sale!

mrshyde

Post by mrshyde » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:09 pm

Quite a few things really ranging from just silly name calls, verbal insults, being spat at, stones thrown at me, being punched in the face by a girl that was walking passed me on the street, the worst was when I was going home one night and I was attacked by a group of people I was kicked to the floor and they set my clothes on fire, thankfully I managed to get them off before I was burnt that left any bad scarring.

But life goes on right?

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:15 pm

Please can I ask how many of you have reported these assaults to the police?

Mrs Hyde, setting your clothes alight, after kicking you, sounds pretty damned serious, to me. I've no intention of trying to twist it, but it also sounds like a statement about the clothes you were wearing... What do you think about that?

Yeah, life goes on. It has to... but I find this behaviour unnacceptable.

V

mrshyde

Post by mrshyde » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:27 pm

I did report the incident well rather my parents did but the police gave up after about 2 days they said there was nothing they could do. So I've personally given up on them.

I also believed that it was about the way I dressed because of the taunts I got about my clothes before it happened, it shook me up so I don't dress how I want anymore unless at WGW I dress as what is socially acceptable now incase anything happens again and amazingly nothing has.

It's disgusting that people will treat others like this just because of how they decide to dress.

rod
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by rod » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:55 pm

nothing recently - probably due to normally looking conventional and avoiding town centres at night (sad isn't it)

Did have an encounter with a bunch of skins in the 80's (who were on a day trip from a detention centre !). Knocked out, night in hospital and a fetching Doc Martin print on my face. Can only assume they didn't like my waist length hair.
He spoke of brothers many, wine and women, song a plenty

mutter
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by mutter » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:21 am

Someone once tried to push my OH under a bus because he had long hair.(He is now going bald and would love his long hair back) :wink:

It's usually just the sniggers and snide remarks when you walk past. Mainly at him as I don't really stand out that much. With my job I tend to look "normal" on a day to day basis. Where as, he gets the odd comment when he goes out to survey building sites etc.
"They're only noodles Michael"

WYATT666
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by WYATT666 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:47 am

i used to get the old and odd remark from time to time but i was bullied thru school so now if anyone says anything i just ignore em, but they usually dont have ago at me for the clothes i wear which i find strangely odd.

i swear the next person that gets me on a bad day is gunna regret it they really will, but i am not normally the violent type because i can channel my anger elsewhere (and lately i have needed but thats an entirely different story).

bitbat
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by bitbat » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:40 am

someone has left such an example as you might be interested in as a comment on a public/open post on my livejournal...
http://bitbat.livejournal.com/473827.html

GothicBetty666
Has no Jaffa Cakes

Post by GothicBetty666 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:59 am

1. Was called a 'Shakespear Shitter' whatever that is and spat at by a man probably in his late 30s early 40s in Redhill, Surrey in 1992.

2. My OH ex-friend came up to me in the pub when he first met me and said to me "god Wayne if my Mrs went out dressed like that I'd give her a right slap" and looked at me like I was scum!

3. I was bullied relentlessly for 3 years when I was an office assistant by two women who used to say things like "do you think she's buried her boyfriend somewhere?" in front of me and make jibes about my dress sense.

To name but a few!
I wear my heart on my sleeve and my mind in my pants!

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:24 pm

GothicBetty666 wrote:3. I was bullied relentlessly for 3 years when I was an office assistant by two women who used to say things like "do you think she's buried her boyfriend somewhere?" in front of me and make jibes about my dress sense.

I think name calling does count as abuse, but we have to remember that on the odd occasion people will just have a laugh and I for one can shoulder it and laugh back... But as with the guy looking at you, as though you were scum, it's showing a level of real dislike for who you choose to be, so it's going deeper.

I do appreciate that some of these things are sometimes hard to seperate from what we accept as 'part of the course', but they do so often illuminate a hidden attitude, going on behind them...

V

Vicki_Gothard
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Vicki_Gothard » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:05 pm

whitby october two years ago a group of us four in total had an egg launched at us on the bridge on the monday night.

ive been spat at in front of my parents.
ive had stones and plastic bottles thrown at me and even a penny once which hurt like hell.
after a house fire my house was broken into and vandalised and yes it was because the local yobs dont like me. or my family because of me.
my sister was bullied at school because of the way i looked even her registraion teacher took the mick.
someone in my village tried to set my hair on fire when i had wooly braids.
i get verbal abuse quite a bit yesterday was the last time.
i was threathened once by a local who told me i shouldnt be allowed to live and if he hadnt just got out of jail hed stab me.
it ranges from full on screaming n swearing to oh "you been crying love" type jeers.
hope this helps.
life is too short. make the most of it. get over it!

Vicki_Gothard
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Vicki_Gothard » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:09 pm

i wa salso called marlyn mansons wife during the end of my high school years. didnt bother me so much but i do know it bothers others.
i was refused entry to a night club once because of how i looked even thoguh i had a skirt on etc.
i dont get intimidated in my village anymore mostly due to the fact my boyfriend is rather large and biker like as are his mates who live in the village.
life is too short. make the most of it. get over it!

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Thanks Vicki. Some of that is distinctly shocking and I'm grateful to you for sharing it, because it sounds very disheartening.

I remember the house fire, when it happened and you saying they had pillaged it afterwards. Hope you've managed to start again, as hard as it is, when you lose everything.

V
Last edited by Varney on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.