For Sophie's Morning in Whitby, I WISH TO THANK...

News on the Sophie Campaign and other related cases.

Moderator: WGWMods

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

For Sophie's Morning in Whitby, I WISH TO THANK...

Post by Varney » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:54 pm

You all! For attending and helping with
Sophie Lancaster's memorial bench dedication ceremony in Whitby, 11:30am, Saturday 26th April, 2008.

This morning I read a lot of very kind words, regarding this, which I found very touching. I want to remind you that this ceremony just could not have been the thing that it was, without those who contributed and worked hard to make it so. A fantastic turnout of people who selflessly gave up their morning, to remember Sophie Lancaster R.I.P.

So, in no particular order, I want to offer my heartfelt thanks to all I can remember, for their excellent contributions, in making Sophie's Morning what it was.

Strangefish & Skyshadow
I could not have wished for a more dedicated and skilled crew, in putting together the flower stand. Just as I designed it, yet better still. Additional thanks to the Strangefish for the motorised hauling of luggage and being a general rock.

Brendan Hawthorne (Black country poet)
For "Sophie's Song". For his beautiful, moving words which suggest that Sophie need not die in vain, if only we remember her and all of those who have fallen victim of hatred and violence. Thanks, mate!

The Glooms
To Nic and Nig, for tirelessly piloting and navigating HMS Gloombuggy to and from Preston (for waking me at 5:30am!!!) providing brilliant company on the way and giving us a much needed kitten fix.

Bona Tom
For providing tea laptop computer and printer, late on Friday night. For printing flyers, speading the word and generally being an all-round good egg.

Jo Hampshire and Cockpit Phil
For supplying a HUGE, meaty PA system, which instilled confidence our message would reach far and wide.

Dieche & Mark
For also bringing a PA system and mic stand, without which I would have had to resort to a piece of old driftwood and a roll of selotape!

Dave Il Man
For designing wonderfully clear and beautiful flyers and for printing and distributing them.

DJ Oldgoth (Martin Coles)
Do I need to say any more about this man? Yes I do! The ancient one is responsible for putting that bench there in the first place! Also for videoing the event and providing the shot of rum. Thank you, matey!

Sylvia, Kate Conboy, Odette, Dave & Tracey
Just for being there and bringing extra validation to what we were doing.

Staci and Sophie's closest friends
Same as above. It brought special meaning, just to know you were there among us. A total pleasure to meet you, only I wish it could have been under happier circumstances.

Mrs Geoff
For holding onto her string and letting rip just at the right moment. For making everyone cry with her big, black balloon. For cuddles, smiles and general Geoffness!

Hazel (Josephine)
For also grabbing video footage of the event.

The Whitby Police
For being there and showing their support.

BBC, ITN and local press (Specifically Gazzette Jonny)
For helping us put out a positive message for goths and people in general who care about Sophie, Rob and their families.

Karen & Jason
For putting up with the thunder of army boots on the upper decks, above their hammocks. For practically running Fawcet House and looking after Tina. For Bacon sarnies and helping me weed out unecessary words from my speech.

Tina (Mrs V.)
For being there throughout, even when I am monstrous and moody. For making precis of my senseless blather and doing neat girl's handwriting. For wiping my chin after dinner and much more. I love you.

Old Mother Varney
For chalking up the letters, S.O.P.H.I. & E. on a huge hunk of polystyrene, prior to cutting and fibre glassing. (Because I can't do caligraphy like she can!)

Everyone who attended, leaving flowers and tears in rememberance.

Everyone who printed and distributed flyers.

Everyone who wanted to be there, but couldn't and had donated generously to the memorial fund.

Also,
Very special thanks to Sylvia Lancaster for her moving speech. Your prescence gave our little ceremony added significance with your strong affirmation of people's rights.

And let us not forget Rob Maltby, whom I know was there with us in spirit and who would have been there with us if he could. To you, Rob, on behalf of the WGW forumers, I send best wishes and love.

Sincerely,

V
Last edited by Varney on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.

miss mysterious
Wants a Jaffa Cake

Post by miss mysterious » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:31 pm

can i just say you are most kind person that i have ever heard of.i was not there but in what i have seen and watch of you you have a very big heart and i have to say your friendds are so luckly to have you .you always think of others ....
i wish everyone in world was as kind as you
never forget angel to soon..http://www.myspace.com/inmemoryofsophie

WYATT666
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by WYATT666 » Thu May 01, 2008 12:20 am

I think if everyone had an little V sat on there shoulder life would improve 10 fold for everyone.

With the relatively short time i have known V and read his posts you couldnt ask to know anyone better i am proud to even know you.

I know that hundreds if not thousands of people will tell you that you are great human being but i will echo them.

And to everyone, no matter how small of a part you played you did your bit and that has to be said that if we all did our little bit and played our tiny part things will change for the better.

Vicki_Gothard
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Vicki_Gothard » Thu May 01, 2008 8:44 am

and all those who couldnt attend but were thinking of her. i wish i had been their.
life is too short. make the most of it. get over it!

Dave-il-man
Full to Bursting with Lovely Jaffa Cakes

Post by Dave-il-man » Thu May 01, 2008 4:14 pm

Just got back from Whitby a few hours ago and the bench and table are still full of Flowers Sophies photo is still there i fastened it back on. I was amazed that as late as thursday morning it was still there and in good order.

It sparked a little tear in my eye as i left :cry:
http://www.myspace.com/david66stringer
ImageImage
i am who i am so like it or lump it

Tez
Full to Bursting with Lovely Jaffa Cakes

Post by Tez » Thu May 01, 2008 6:04 pm

It wont get moved till the flowers start to deteriate
Tez

so, the 'Hokey Cokey'...........is that really what its all about ???

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Thu May 01, 2008 6:05 pm

Yeah, Dave, I stopped off at the bench to look at the flowers and her picture on the way back from Sexy Sunday. Thinking, contemplating... Saying a few words under my breath I'd like to have been able to say to her... When you're on your own at the bench, one finds oneself on quite the brink of emotion. It is definitely going to be a lasting, permanent memorial, with a lot of energy attached to it.

V
What you gone do now, muchacha?

valeriargh

Post by valeriargh » Thu May 01, 2008 7:42 pm

I couldn't make it to the memorial ceremony on the saturday, but me and my hubby did make it to the sentencing on monday, and both of us were really moved by the whole experience, we met so many nice people that day including Mr Varney (we gave you a cig as yours had got soaked in the rain) and I only wish that it had been under nicer circumstances, We plan on making the trip to whitby in the summer to pay our respects and leave a flower for Sophie. You guys have really done her memory proud.

Emma.

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Thu May 01, 2008 7:45 pm

Well, valeriargh I must say thanks again for the fag. I really needed it...

It's nice to be able to put a face to the name now (or a name to the face I remember).

Cheers!

V
What you gone do now, muchacha?

valeriargh

Post by valeriargh » Thu May 01, 2008 7:52 pm

Anytime! I reckon we all needed one that day, always happy to share the wealth as it were!
http://valeriargh.thecuriobox.com/

“Today, more than ever, we need to show respect,
compassion and tolerance for those whose
appearance and culture differs from our own.”
Sylvia Lancaster.

Bloodflowers
Wants a Jaffa Cake

Post by Bloodflowers » Fri May 16, 2008 8:44 pm

What a lovely thought . Im sorri i missed it

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 pm

I've only just seen this, been popping in now and then but must have skipped this somehow.

V, without you it would have been just a bench, plonked near the coast with a vague hope of people sticking some flowers near it, you provided the perfect ending to everything we started, and like you I'd like to add my thanks to everyone for the incredible support and kind words. This was by far the biggest thing the goth community worldwide have ever done, and without the ceremony would not have been noticed by so many.

I am so pleased to be able to call you lot friends, not just aquaintancies, nobody could hope for a better bunch of people around them, and together we showed the world what we truly are. Caring, thoughtful, individuals.

Thank you
Nostalgia and Recollection back for November WGW - tickets on sale!

Skyshadow
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Skyshadow » Mon May 19, 2008 9:26 pm

I just wanted to do something and I'm so glad that I could. The speech, the readings and the thank you from Sophie's mother was all the thanks I need for the very small part I played.
"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for one night. SET a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!"

strangefish
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by strangefish » Tue May 20, 2008 2:13 am

Skyshadow wrote:I just wanted to do something and I'm so glad that I could. The speech, the readings and the thank you from Sophie's mother was all the thanks I need for the very small part I played.
What Sky' said. you & oldgoth did all the work V'.
official smut monger
women are bad...but goth women...cuter but there's always an imbalance isn't there? :lol: