NOT Perfect Timing

News on the Sophie Campaign and other related cases.

Moderator: WGWMods

Cruel Britannia
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by Cruel Britannia » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:45 pm

I used the writetothem site on Sunday morning.

I received a reply from my local MP today confirming as much; the judiciary is independant of politicians, which I partly knew (I'm not really au fait with the justice system). He at least agreed that sentences should be severe for such cases and hoped that the result of the appeal doesn't send out the message that violence will be tolerated.

As ultimately powerless as his reply & support may be, it was just good that the time was taken to respond to my email.

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:04 am

Cruel Britannia wrote:I used the writetothem site on Sunday morning.

I received a reply from my local MP today confirming as much; the judiciary is independant of politicians, which I partly knew (I'm not really au fait with the justice system).

Exactly, which is why I suggested writing to the panel, to emplore them. Experience tells us to conserve our writing energy and direct it in a concentrated fashion, to where it will do the most good. I'm glad you posted this. It's very telling, although I used to think that politicians could put pressure upon the judiciary system. They are not for changing laws overnight, unless it benefits their voting figures, substantially.

V
What you gone do now, muchacha?

Dave-il-man
Full to Bursting with Lovely Jaffa Cakes

Post by Dave-il-man » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:14 am

Varney wrote:
Cruel Britannia wrote:I used the writetothem site on Sunday morning.

I received a reply from my local MP today confirming as much; the judiciary is independant of politicians, which I partly knew (I'm not really au fait with the justice system).

Exactly, which is why I suggested writing to the panel, to emplore them. Experience tells us to conserve our writing energy and direct it in a concentrated fashion, to where it will do the most good. I'm glad you posted this. It's very telling, although I used to think that politicians could put pressure upon the judiciary system. They are not for changing laws overnight, unless it benefits their voting figures, substantially.

V

Yes i do agree any pressure is something, and as for changing laws i feel you have a point V have they not changed certain driving laws at a whim just to suit their pockets?
http://www.myspace.com/david66stringer
ImageImage
i am who i am so like it or lump it

Gerbil
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by Gerbil » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:05 am

I got a reply off my MP which basically reiterated the fact that he cannot interfere with the judiciary, but he opened with this...
Let me say straight away that I share your horror and revulsion at this murder of an innocent young woman simply because she chose to express her personality in a distinctive style, and your concern that a message should go out that such crimes are not to be tolerated.
Old Enough to Know Better; Young Enough not to Care.

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:29 pm

But having said all that, it's still worth contacting your MPs to get them aware. They need to be as aware as anyone else. You never know what they might do to help. Perhaps if one or two MPs organised their constituents to write specific letters to the appeal panel, it might carry some weight.

There are many avenues to explore. I just fear people writing letters to inappropriate places. That's why I have not yet contacted the UK GLF. They need to be concentrated into an organised form, too. They have not published anything since the Slaughters left a gap in their structure. But there's enough of them scattered over Myspace, that their numbers may help, by contacting them when (and if) the time is right.

V

Sumsargirl
Wants a Jaffa Cake

Post by Sumsargirl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:49 pm

OH MY GOD!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

they cant!!! so they off the hook as they say?

Them pieces of dirt cant actualy get away :o
:cry:

:( really angry now =[

omg =[

Gangrel
Has no Jaffa Cakes

Post by Gangrel » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:13 pm

Sumsargirl wrote:OH MY GOD!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

they cant!!! so they off the hook as they say?

Them pieces of dirt cant actualy get away :o
:cry:

:( really angry now =[

omg =[

No, I don't think they can. As I understand it, they're not appealing against the conviction, only the severity of the sentence (or to paraphrase that "I don' like it mummy, make it better"). So, they want a lighter sentence for an unprovoked attack in which they outnumbered their innocent victims, murdering one and causing major harm to the other.

Remarkable isn't it?

I'm hoping that those facts are enough for any reasonable judge to say that the sentence stands (I think the original trial judge gave them the maximum sentence he was actually allowed to give, under Home Office guidelines, so I think an increase in the tariff is unlikely). That said, I'm not above adding my voice to any reasonable campaign to inform the judiciary of our concerns. Hope isn't enough. Once we hear how best we can help, I'll be doing everything I can to attempt to ensure those two low life thugs remain away from civilised society for as long as possible.

Best,
Mike
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."
Hellboy -"Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Sumsargirl
Wants a Jaffa Cake

Post by Sumsargirl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:01 pm

Couldnt have said it better myself!
they really have no right to have a lighter sentence! they need one that is alot more harsh!
But as you say all we can do is wait and see how we can support.
I feel so sorry for Sophies mum =[
I know she has alot of support, but its no excuse to ever stop giving the support =]

I just ohhh I dunno Im so angry =[

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:36 am

I haven't phoned yet and I'm sorry. I've been distracted lately.

V

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:48 pm

I've recieved a reply from Sylvia tonight. She is of the opinion a 'petition' would be a good idea. I have explained that I feel this should take the form of a message to the panel; the judge; whoever makes this decision, to appeal to their moral sense. Whatever the outcome, yet again, the Alternative & Gothic Community will state it's position on the subject of hate crimes, on the basis of dress and appearance.

Sophie was not shown any mercy. For us to show it towards her killers, would be a significant step backwards from morality.

You must wait until the victim (and her community) has healed, before even venturing for magnanimity. Even then, you expect nothing but, if it be forthcoming, you accept with nothing less than the humility of a worm.

I'm waiting for a reply to my queries, regarding dates and locations and will keep this area updated, so stay tuned!

Regards all,

V

Sumsargirl
Wants a Jaffa Cake

Post by Sumsargirl » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:18 am

Varney wrote:I've recieved a reply from Sylvia tonight. She is of the opinion a 'petition' would be a good idea. I have explained that I feel this should take the form of a message to the panel; the judge; whoever makes this decision, to appeal to their moral sense. Whatever the outcome, yet again, the Alternative & Gothic Community will state it's position on the subject of hate crimes, on the basis of dress and appearance.

Sophie was not shown any mercy. For us to show it towards her killers, would be a significant step backwards from morality.

You must wait until the victim (and her community) has healed, before even venturing for magnanimity. Even then, you expect nothing but, if it be forthcoming, you accept with nothing less than the humility of a worm.

I'm waiting for a reply to my queries, regarding dates and locations and will keep this area updated, so stay tuned!

Regards all,

V

wow that is so beautifuly amazing!!!
I couldnt have said it better myself =]
Well done =]
xxx

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:31 am

I hope she will get back to me in time for action to be efficient. I know Sylvia appreciates everything we try to do, but she is often (quite rightly) busy with the Campaign and also, most importantly, getting on with her life. I'm always conscious of not being too pushy with these things. I think she will call, when she needs us.

V

Vicki_Gothard
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Vicki_Gothard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:09 am

Have you started wording it yet?
life is too short. make the most of it. get over it!

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:47 pm

Vaguely...

I want some words from Sylvia in this. You saw how well she captivated her audience in WGW.

V

Vicki_Gothard
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Vicki_Gothard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:03 pm

umm i didn't i wasnt thier.
life is too short. make the most of it. get over it!

Sumsargirl
Wants a Jaffa Cake

Post by Sumsargirl » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:54 pm

Varney wrote:I hope she will get back to me in time for action to be efficient. I know Sylvia appreciates everything we try to do, but she is often (quite rightly) busy with the Campaign and also, most importantly, getting on with her life. I'm always conscious of not being too pushy with these things. I think she will call, when she needs us.

V

Yer I know what you mean we al wanna help but dont want to push it =]
She will call when ready Im sure =] xx

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:45 am

Well, this afternoon, I spoke to the newly appointed secretary of the SL Foundation, Nigel Lancashire (close friend of mine and husband of our very own, beloved Gloomcookie ((both related to Rob Maltby)) ). From this, I glean there's going to be a meeting next Thursday. I've asked Nig to supply me with any current information on the matter. As far as I know, Kate is still working hard, alongside Sylvia. For now, it is just a case of "waiting in the wings" and we'll see how this unfolds. I'm sure all will be revealed shortly.

Stay tuned!

V