NOT Perfect Timing

News on the Sophie Campaign and other related cases.

Moderator: WGWMods

Gangrel
Has no Jaffa Cakes

Post by Gangrel » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Personally, I think petions cxn be seen as a easy option to dismiss (people are asked to sign something, do so, thne move on without a thought). I'm not saying that's how it would be here, but it could be perceived as such. Now if Sophie's family want us to petition the court (and I'm not about to do anything without an 'official' say-so) then I'd hazard that individual letters (not a copy & paste chain letter) would have more impact. Now if the word is gien that such a campaign would be helpful, then I'm there, until there I'll keep an eye on the news and help out whenever/wherever I can.

Best,
Mike

PS Yes, it is proof positive of lack of remorse, and I STILL don't understand why the sentence for attacking Rob should be served concurently rather than consecutively.
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."
Hellboy -"Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Gangrel wrote: Now if Sophie's family want us to petition the court (and I'm not about to do anything without an 'official' say-so) then I'd hazard that individual letters (not a copy & paste chain letter) would have more impact. Now if the word is gien that such a campaign would be helpful, then I'm there, until there I'll keep an eye on the news and help out whenever/wherever I can.

It would take the form of nothing less. That much is already known to be the most effective.

V
What you gone do now, muchacha?

PurpleAbsinthe

Post by PurpleAbsinthe » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:59 pm

Gangrel wrote:Personally, I think petions cxn be seen as a easy option to dismiss (people are asked to sign something, do so, thne move on without a thought). I'm not saying that's how it would be here, but it could be perceived as such. Now if Sophie's family want us to petition the court (and I'm not about to do anything without an 'official' say-so) then I'd hazard that individual letters (not a copy & paste chain letter) would have more impact. Now if the word is gien that such a campaign would be helpful, then I'm there, until there I'll keep an eye on the news and help out whenever/wherever I can.

That goes for me too, always keep an eye out for the myspace bullitins from Sophies page, and the most recent developements just made my blood boil further. I feel strongly enough that I wish to help anyway possible, unfortunately most vigils and alike have understandably been far north compared to myself. So if it comes to a mass individual letter send I will put pen to paper and will let my friends know too.

I like the fact that there are SOPHIE things for sale now to raise money, but would like to suggest a car window sticker (along the size of the sexy sunday ones) with the SOPHIE design and a web address. I would really like one for my car window, but would much rather to buy one where money goes to the cause not just have one made up. Maybe this is something that could be looked at by someone involved. Know its very low priority now, so maybe a suggestion for when things are a little easier?
The calm that killed the storm.

If youre going to do something wrong, do it wrong right

mistressH
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by mistressH » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:07 pm

This really is the worst timing ever. I understand that everyone has the right to appeal but why did they have to decide it was gong ahead and announce it this week? :?

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:07 pm

I think the idea for a car window sticker is a brilliant one, Purple.

V

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:08 pm

mistressH wrote:This really is the worst timing ever. I understand that everyone has the right to appeal but why did they have to decide it was gong ahead and announce it this week? :?

Because they are arseholes.

V

PurpleAbsinthe

Post by PurpleAbsinthe » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:19 pm

Varney wrote:I think the idea for a car window sticker is a brilliant one, Purple.

V

Thanks :) Maybe you could pass it on at a convienent time? Does anyone know if the SOPHIE merc will be being sold on a stall in oct? Got my band at the memorial but I was thinking of getting the bag too.
The calm that killed the storm.

If youre going to do something wrong, do it wrong right

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Of course.

Something needs to be done. I've contacted Sylvia and will inform you all of any progress in this matter, as and when I get some answers.

Please stay positive - and believe deep down, that we CAN make a difference, when we work together. We have been here before. We can do it again, only better.

V

dieche
Wants a Jaffa Cake

Post by dieche » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:26 am

Low life scumbags they have no remorse for the lives they have destroyed.And hopefully the appeal judge will see this.Appeals sometimes work in the victims favour as judges reject the appeal and increase the sentence,fingers crossed these twats get rejected and an increase added on.

I am going to Sophies bench this morning to place a bunch of roses in her memory.

And V,i think we should try and do something about this appeal,it's the least we can do to support Sophie and Robs families.

Shiv.xx

Scarlett
Jaffa Cake Snaffler

Post by Scarlett » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:58 am

Varney wrote:What is more, I believe they should be given LONGER sentences, just for asking... This is pure evidence of zero remorse and in a world where everything is correct, the key would be thrown away. No rehabilitation of these individuals can undo all the harm they did that night. This is no time for compromise. I believe that intense protest, from the Gothic Community as a whole, is most definitely in order.

V

Varney, I agree with everything you said here.

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:20 pm

dieche wrote:I am going to Sophies bench this morning to place a bunch of roses in her memory.

Good on you, Doctor Shivers! Weirdly, just knowing there are flowers on her bench today, somehow gives me a good vibe. I hope others will drink from it, too.

V -x-

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 am

Varney wrote:I think we should write. I think we should petition the court again, despite any negative thoughts we might have. It has to be worth a try, for the simple fact we'd be kicking ourselves if we failed to act and there was a chance it might do some good.

I totally agree.

I hadn't seen this thread until now, I'd read the news and was sickened by it, but without reading the above I've already written to my MP. As I've said elsewhere I'm not sure what effect it will have but I wasn't about to sit and do nothing, they cannot be allowed to appeal without at least a few voices of opposition being heard.
Nostalgia and Recollection back for November WGW - tickets on sale!

Vicki_Gothard
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Vicki_Gothard » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:27 pm

Unfortuantly you cannot stop them appealing, what we can do is try to get over to the judge that what they did affected allot of people and that violence against alternative type people is frequent if not to this degree it happens allot and must be stamped out by setting an example to these scum who have no remorse for what they have done.
life is too short. make the most of it. get over it!

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:16 pm

Exactly, the appeal will happen regardless. If we can at least let the 'authorities' know that we oppose the reduction in the sentence then maybe they will listen, got to be better than doing nothing.. have to try.

Vicki_Gothard
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Vicki_Gothard » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:33 pm

Did i say don't try!! quite the opposite. only i am no good at writing letters. so Varneys idea of a letter we could all sign would be good for people like me who feel their letter writing skill arent great but really do want to do something.
life is too short. make the most of it. get over it!

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 pm

Vicki_Gothard wrote:Did i say don't try!!

No, I was agreeing with you..

Probably not a good idea to send a standard letter though, even if you feel you're not very good at letter writing it would be better than sending one the same as everyone elses, the writetothem website actually warns against that.

You will be fine though, you get your point across here OK whebever you have something to say. I'm sure you could knock up a quick letter just to say how you felt. I've got every confidence in you writing something that says more about how you feel far better than I, (or Varney), ever could. If you're not sure of something write it then PM it to him or me to check if you are worried, but like I say, I reckon you'd be great at it.

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:14 am

I'm drafting a letter. I'm waiting to hear from either Kate or Sylvia before proceeding. I also need to open some dialogue with our new SL Foundation secretary and see if we can get the website brought up to date. I'm a little worried by a slowness of progress in that area. I know time is at a premium for the day-day lives of all concerned, so some volunteering of skills might be in order. Everyone has to pull together on this. I don't just expect them to do everything. We're all in this together.

I'll keep you posted on any developments.

Stay tuned,

V
Last edited by Varney on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

angeljezabel
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by angeljezabel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:48 pm

I cannot think of what to say Im so angered by this. Why is it that the criminals are given more thought by the authorites that the victim and there familes?
V keep us informed re protests etc
Nobody laughs when they leave.......

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:22 am

angeljezabel wrote:I cannot think of what to say Im so angered by this. Why is it that the criminals are given more thought by the authorites that the victim and there familes?

Because the prisons are full...? I don't know. Only reason I can think of.

Horrible, isn't it?

You wrote:V keep us informed re protests etc

Will do. I'm only getting the chance to pop in at night times, for about 20 mins a day, but I'm keeping my eye on this one.

Still nothing from Sylvia or Kate... If I don't hear by Friday, I will telephone.

V

vampink
Jaffa Cake Snaffler

Post by vampink » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:05 pm

This is so enraging! You said it Korpse... "This country!"
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein