A Memorial for Sophie

News on the Sophie Campaign and other related cases.

Moderator: WGWMods

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

A Memorial for Sophie

Post by oldgoth » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:25 am

First off, Bex, can you please make this a sticky?

OK, here's what's been happening 'behind the scenes', a quick update if you like..

InsanitoriuM raised £74 in a collection for Sophie and this is being used to pay for 1100 small ribbon roses, which angeljezabel has very kindly bought (and is probably still attaching to safety pins). Jo has kindly allowed these to be sold via the info stall in the Spa on Firday and Saturday to turn his £74 into a far larger sum, not sure yet whether there will be a fixed 'minimum price' for these, but suggestions are welcome.

The money raised will pay for a memorial bench to be installed near the corner by the Whalebones, with plaque attached in her memory. The estimated cost for this is around £1500/£1600 pounds depending on the wording on the plaque. The bench should eventually sit opposite the Royal Hotel looking out to sea.

Any money that we make over the top of this will be put into reforestation, hopefully by planting a few trees in her memory in a properly maintained site.

If anyone has any suggestions for the wording on the plaque, there are plenty of you good with words out there, then please feel free to make a suggestion.

Thanks to everyone involved in this, apart from buying a rose at Whitby you can also help raise funds by getting your local club to hold a collection to add to the one at WGW, reposting this idea wherever you think people see it so people going to WGW than aren't lurking here will be aware, and generally raising the profile.

Thanks to angeljezebal for all her work, Jo for allowing space on an already crowded table, gloomcookie for bearing with me while I found out stuff, Varney for his help in dealing with the petition side of things (which is still in the pipeline), and numerous others of you for words of encouragement.

Lets raise thousands!

Go!
Nostalgia and Recollection back for November WGW - tickets on sale!

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:27 am

Fantastic, Oldgoth... Well done, mate! And well done, AngelJezebel!

V
What you gone do now, muchacha?

Scarlett
Jaffa Cake Snaffler

Post by Scarlett » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:35 am

Varney wrote:Fantastic, Oldgoth... Well done, mate! And well done, AngelJezebel!

V

^Agree^

I know a few people going to WGW who aren't on here, so I will pass it on.

MissChief
WGW Forum Admin

Post by MissChief » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:44 am

*made sticky by chiefy... ewwww.....*

Outstanding work OG and AJ, what a terrific idea about the plaque too.
MissChief - Back from outerspace...

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:53 am

ChiefBrody wrote:*made sticky by chiefy... ewwww.....*

Cheers!

and thanks to everyone that have sent messages saying that they;ve posted this on other forums, much appreciated...

Stuntie
Wants a Jaffa Cake

Post by Stuntie » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:16 pm

Nice work OldGoth and angeljezebal.
Will defiantely be getting a rose at Whitby.
Cheers
Stuntie.

WYATT666
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by WYATT666 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:26 pm

good work, i will get the scooby gang and myself to get a rose and see if we can drum up some cash

dieche
Wants a Jaffa Cake

Post by dieche » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:40 pm

Excellent work oldgoth & angeljezebel.I mentioned to Mallison today who is running Creatures at the Resolution Club Whitby next Friday 28th,about having a collection towards the memorial bench for Sophie.So anyone who attends can dig deep and help out.The money collected will be given to Jo at WGW.

Shiv.x :P

felishumanus

Post by felishumanus » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:03 pm

came via lj..

can i ask if this is done with consent of family and friends?

wouldn't want them to be upset by it

Fe
'The bottle in my sporan isna lemonade'

felishumanus

Post by felishumanus » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:14 pm

scrap that just had it answered by sexbat :)

I shall look out for the roses then

F
'The bottle in my sporan isna lemonade'

Spooky
Jaffa Cake Snaffler

Post by Spooky » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:33 pm

Could I ask if these tokens could be purchased by people not able to get to Whitby? I'd love to buy three but am not coming up to Whitby this year due to my daughter's surgery. I wanted to donate to a memorial bench as I said in another post a while ago, so I'm so pleased one is going ahead :D
Anyone selling them online?
You only die once, may as well live a little first.

Midnight
Jaffa Cake Snaffler

Post by Midnight » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:58 pm

i hate to be disrespectful and everything

but whose Sophie
Dum Spiro Spero

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:59 pm

So far they're not being sold online, I thought about it but couldn't work out how to arrange it, does anyone have any ideas or way of sorting this out?

Failing that do you know anyone going to WGW that you could get cash to to donate for you and then pass on the roses?

Or maybe buy roses from a local haberdashery type place to wear in her memory, and I'll PM you my paypal address and put your money in the tin when I get there, if you're happy with that, I'm aware this leaves me open to accusations of all sorts of fraud but please be assured, that's not the intention at all. Can anyone think of another way?

Spooky
Jaffa Cake Snaffler

Post by Spooky » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:18 pm

OldGoth, I think I can trust you on this score :D If no one comes up with another option for getting a legit token (or three) then perhaps you, or someone else in the WGW ranks, would be willing to act as a PayPal donation bin (sorry, couldn't think of another way to put it!) for those of us unable to attend?
You only die once, may as well live a little first.

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:24 pm

Midnight, you wrote:I hate to be disrespectful and everything

but whose Sophie

Not to worry. You've been away for awhile, so probably missed it. Check here: http://forum.topmum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=737

V
What you gone do now, muchacha?

Bona Tom
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by Bona Tom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:08 pm

oldgoth and Spooky,

that Spooky and Co., (and anyone else who hasn't access to the angeljezabel Sophie roses) just send a donation, and wear a rose they provide themselves, has to be the most sensible option.

I ran a mail order business for many years, and would be happy to post off roses to people, but it seems a shame that Royal Mail for the postage, and packaging manufacturers would be profiting from this - using envelopes wouldn't help save trees. Also, it would leave some of the 1100 roses in the basket to turn into donations from someone else!

It would be useful to have a PayPal account id to quote for donations - I have come across 'Donate here', PayPal buttons on some people's sites, but the more regulated this gets, the more of a tangle, and more work for someone. If I am collecting, I'd like to be able to put donations into some account somewhere, can't have cash hanging around...

toxic_candy
Jaffa Cake Snaffler

Post by toxic_candy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:56 pm

Good work. I will be getting some roses for sure. I can't describe how i feel about what has happened.
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring
http://www.facebook.com/jenni.summerscales

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:12 pm

In that case feel free to paypal donations to my old (but still active) paypal account which is: dj(at)insanitorium.co.uk

That way anything paid to that account wont get mixed up with any random Ebay fun I might have between now and Whitby. I think Bona Tom is right about buying a rose for yourself and donating in this way, it seems the best option. I'll just leave anything in there until WGW and then draw it out and add it to the fund.

It can also serve for anyone that raises cash beween now and then, I know the Charnel House are collecting money at their next club night, and Misery of Sound are also doing something. At the moment The Last Dance are also planning to raise funds, and friends from the US have already sent me donations using that account.

Lady Spiderella
Full to Bursting with Lovely Jaffa Cakes

Post by Lady Spiderella » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:08 am

Well Done, on all your hard work and efforts, Old Goth and AngelJezebel!!
Thank you for taking so much of you time to organise the memorial bench in Sophie's name.
It is well and truly appreciated.
I'll be getting roses and encouraging as many as I can to do the same.
Has anyone suggested what to put on the plaque yet?

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:21 am

Lady Spiderella wrote:Has anyone suggested what to put on the plaque yet?

Not yet, all ideas are welcome, I'm sure someone here will be able to think of something suitable