Goth Hate Crimes Petition. URL here...

News on the Sophie Campaign and other related cases.

Moderator: WGWMods

Scarlett
Jaffa Cake Snaffler

Post by Scarlett » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:10 pm

This forum that Varney has been on has fascinated me.

I am particuarly intrigued by the fact that a site and forum devoted to all things you-know-what has an entire sub-section for a goth forum that is 5 pages long.

It does have some pearls of wisdom on it though lol. For example -

A goth cannot call himself a goth, as it would not make them a goth.

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:24 pm

Scarlett wrote:A goth cannot call himself a goth, as it would not make them a goth.

Wow, Andrew Eldritch is there?
Nostalgia and Recollection back for November WGW - tickets on sale!

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:27 pm

All I would ask of the curious, is if they wouldn't mind not pasting the hateful replies they've found to my thread, to this forum. I made a conscious decision to say my peice and leave. Their attitudes were bringing me down, at a time I needed to remain positive. That's not to say, I won't renew my interest in the proceedings, should we all decide it a good idea, to post the video, in a seperate thread. I think I am better armed, this time around, but without much time to really take anything they say, too deeply on board. I can feel my depression lifting and my strength resolving to help raise awareness. I still await a phone call, from the Lancashire Free Press, who reeled me into giving them my details, on the pretence that Lancashire police authority wishes to speak with me personally. Such bullshit, hardly even worthy of attention. The way some people's minds work, disgusts me to the core.

V
What you gone do now, muchacha?

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:28 pm

I looked at the petition a couple of days ago and it was 1650(ish), it's now on 1821, seems to have shot up in the last two days..

The fact that it's still rising daily is encouraging, but we still need to find more places to put it, so many 'alternative' people could benefit from it, we just have to find them

I just googled 'emo forum' and found a few, so signed up and posted it there too, we need to hit a lot more people from other subcultures to really keep the ball rolling...

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:18 am

Hello, I'd like another thousand, before the end of the month, please :)

V

MissBillie

Post by MissBillie » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:09 pm

I signed the petition a couple of weeks ago and I was totally amazed by the amount of people who had signed. It's so nice to see people pulling together for a really good cause.
I was wondering though, I read somehwere that there's a facebook group to support the whole thing. I tried looking for it, but I can't find it. Does anyone know how I can find it and join please?

MissBillie

Post by MissBillie » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:14 pm

I signed the petition a couple of weeks ago and I was totally amazed by the amount of people who had signed. It's so nice to see people pulling together for a really good cause.
I was wondering though, I read somehwere that there's a facebook group to support the whole thing. I tried looking for it, but I can't find it. Does anyone know how I can find it and join please?

Captain M
Jaffa Cake Snaffler

Post by Captain M » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:19 pm

MissBillie wrote:I was wondering though, I read somehwere that there's a facebook group to support the whole thing. I tried looking for it, but I can't find it. Does anyone know how I can find it and join please?

I haven't heard of a Facebook group, but there is a MySpace page in support of the campaign:
http://www.myspace.com/inmemoryofsophie

Sadie
Has no Jaffa Cakes

Post by Sadie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:13 am

Just tried to post it on Facebook - but crappy work browser keeps crashing

rainghirl

Post by rainghirl » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:09 pm

I've joined the Facebook Group, it's called "she was murdered because of how she looked" which possibly isn't an ideal title given what's been said previously about not prejudicing the case before it goes to court. As I don't know anyone on here in Facebook, you'll have to search it out.

What is really fantastic, when you look at all the different people who have joined the group, is the diversity of the people who have joined, it's very encouraging to see. Quite a few of the members are her schoolfriends. The petition is posted on there, there are about 1300 members of the group, so hopefully they'll be signing it!
There is a way through in this very chamber to a larger world beyond.
You mean Calderdale?

Captain M
Jaffa Cake Snaffler

Post by Captain M » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:05 pm

Thanks for posting the info re the Facebook group, rainghirl. I don't use Facebook much, but I've already joined the Sophie group. As you say, the large number and diversity of group members is very encouraging. This sort of thing really shows the more positive side of networking sites.

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:31 pm

rainghirl wrote:I've joined the Facebook Group

Well done, thanks for finding it, I think I signed up to facebook ages ago but never used to for anything other than to point at my myspace profile..

Might be time to go back and resurrect it.

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:07 pm

It's on 1903 now...

MissBillie

Post by MissBillie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:46 pm

I just made my dad sign. He said that so far 1,917 people have signed.
Just signed my friend up, now 1,946. I've been convincing people at school to sign too. Hopefully it will hit 2,000 soon.
Last edited by MissBillie on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bona Tom
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by Bona Tom » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:02 pm

Signatures: 2,000

Fleur Noir

Post by Fleur Noir » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:34 am

I've signed it now. My son was beaten quite badly at school a few years back for cos he wore strappy trousers and eyeliner and also he genuinely had no idea who Bob Marley was. Apparently, not knowing this was a great disrespect and he got a brick in his face. The little s**** responsible got community service.

Varney
Ate all the Jaffa Cakes

Post by Varney » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:00 pm

There you go. This is about the length of it, though... Well, his attackers also seem genuinely unaware of who Bob Marley was.... He spent most of his musical career campaigning for people's freedoms.

It makes me wonder if some people really listen to music...

Or just hear it.

V

rainghirl

Post by rainghirl » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:56 pm

He also got shot by people who wanted to curtail his freedom to perform. Luckily it didn't kill him & the performance went ahead. He was also bullied because he was mixed race, ie different from those around him.

As Varney says, your son's attackers obviously have no awareness of who Marley was or respect for his philosophy and views, or they wouldn't bully someone for being different. I doubt they have read up on him or really listened to his lyrics.

All these idiots will have done is put your son off exploring Marley's music and life, rather than encouraging him to find out more about it by engaging with him and giving him some downloads to listen to. Surely a better way of getting someone to respect the life and music of a performer. If you ask me it's nothing to do with not knowing who Bob Marley was and more to do with spoiling for a fight for any reason.
There is a way through in this very chamber to a larger world beyond.
You mean Calderdale?

oldgoth
WGW Forum Moderator

Post by oldgoth » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:06 pm

It's pathetic isn't it? The reasons people use to start a fight.

Lets hope that we succeed and the thought of a more severe sentance and a few examples will make people think twice or seek to question why people are different rather than attack them because of it, and try to understand that it's no reason to attack someone

Bry@nXst

Post by Bry@nXst » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:40 pm

Signed, and will pass this on everywhere i can.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to make your local MP aware of this too. It doesn't take so many people to get noticed on a local scale.

You can find your local MP by constituency by clicking on the link below.

http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alcm.cfm

Goth knows this sort of attack has been going on ever since i can remember, my first battering was aged 14 - left unconscious. It has happened to me many times in many towns since but unusually only once in Hull.

Gloomcookie or Oldgoth

if you would like to write something i can add a local Hull perspective for publication online at thisisull.com a local alternative news and entertainment site with half a million hits a week.

Good luck with the campaign people; i only hope i can help some.

Blessed be Sophie.
...scream for your life, scream for your destiny, scream until the blood runs down the very lobes of those oh so close and condescending myriadic peoples...SCREAM