Leisure Centre trading April 2012

A forum specifically for topics related to trading at WGW

Moderator: WGWMods

PeteW
WGW Web Admin

Leisure Centre trading April 2012

Post by PeteW » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:10 am

The remainder of the trading pitches at the Leisure Centre will be released on 11th Feb, after we have dealt with all the reserved spaces. Pitches can be booked in the online shop; follow the link from the Trader Booking page
If you can't beat them with brains, baffle them with bullsh*t

AlternativeFootwear
Has no Jaffa Cakes

Re: Leisure Centre trading April 2012

Post by AlternativeFootwear » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Great Stuff Pete! will dig out some useful information for this section.

AlternativeFootwear
Has no Jaffa Cakes

Post by AlternativeFootwear » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:07 am

Where to start? erm - well as this was out 1st WGW as we have been unable to do it for years due to other events being so close, we were supprised and quite pleased to see new startup companies venturing to the event, so a few pointers to those.

About trading at the LC.

The advantages of the Leisure Centre are that : you can park outside it to unload, no lifts, stairs to navigate. The LC Is flat ( as its a sports hall ) very well lit and for those who want abit more space - ideal. Just because its not in the main venue doesnt mean its not attended well, with the Kustom Cars there on the Sunday it creates a bit of a buzz not only from those attending WGW, but from the locals too who come and have a mouch to sometimes get out of the weather, you can leave your stand up overnight - although would suggest at least a night sheet and best of all like all of WGW market - free admission - unlike many events we attend.

How to make the most of your pitch.

Well, that doesnt mean pinch as much space as possible,lol.. think about what you want to achive - for some traders is purely marketing or research - testing their product out on their target market before investing loads, others it is purely sales value, some a mixture of both.

So - do your homework! if you are there to make a profit, 1stly work out if its possible, do you have enough stock ? whats your sales target ? how many units are you hoping to move per hour/day ? You dont have to put ALL your stock out - you can top up during the day from your Van, carboot, so you might not need as much space as you think. Is it feedback you want - then ask for it, demonstrate your product a moving display for demo does create interest - stairing at your table isnt good interaction - talk to your visitors ask their opinion.

Layout: think about how your going to display your pitch - if you can do a mockup at home or in the garden if you need more space, you have paid for the pitch so utilise all of it - does it portray the image you wish to get across? Plan your stand - you cant promote or sell empty space. Who are you? Make sure your company name or logo or however you wish to be remembered is clearly visable - lets not forget those snap happy photograhiers running round - get your product and company out there and dont forget something to take away - a card, a freebie, a flyer something your potential customer can pick up and take or better still be handed by you.

Networking.
Get to know your neighbours - what they sell, to whom and where you may have a common customer base, they may do events that may suit your product, perhaps share weblinks, or social networking, if your a sole trader these new found friends do become benificial when you need to pop out for a break.

Pricing.
No one but you decides on your price, but - make it clear and visable, if you think your product is very good value - then make sure your passing customers know this - you want "wow thats a bargain i'll come and look closer" NOT hmm.. " nice - but i bet its not cheap".

Reason to buy.

Think - why should your customer buy today, why not go away and order online etc - give them a reason to.

Hope that starts the ball rolling here.

Mark
AF

AlternativeFootwear
Has no Jaffa Cakes

Post by AlternativeFootwear » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:15 am

How can the LC Venue be improved, what would make it better for the traders & visitors? - be realistic

MissDee
Jaffa Cakes? What Jaffa Cakes?!

Post by MissDee » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:27 am

I have always liked the LC as a customer. It is well lit the traders are not cramped and you can get around it easily in big skirts or with a buggy! It's not far from the main venue and easy to locate.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SienneDeaddoll
http://www.madamedees.co.uk

M4Mish
Jaffa Cake Monster

Post by M4Mish » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:43 pm

AlternativeFootwear wrote:Reason to buy.

Think - why should your customer buy today, why not go away and order online etc - give them a reason to.

If I can be so bold as to make a suggestion for you peeps at Alternative Footwear...I was very pleased to see you at Whitby having bought from you online for years, but didn't buy anything due to much of the stock having stiletto heels. Is there any chance you could bring some clumpier boots next time eg slush, platoon, swing, kink pyramid heels, etc and also some men's stuff eg disorder?

Yours hopefully :wink: .

M
Look in the mirror. What do you see? Is it yourself? Is it a stranger? Or is it just simply me?

AlternativeFootwear
Has no Jaffa Cakes

Post by AlternativeFootwear » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:23 am

M4Mish wrote:
AlternativeFootwear wrote:Reason to buy.

If I can be so bold as to make a suggestion for you peeps at Alternative Footwear...I was very pleased to see you at Whitby having bought from you online for years, but didn't buy anything due to much of the stock having stiletto heels. Is there any chance you could bring some clumpier boots next time eg slush, platoon, swing, kink pyramid heels, etc and also some men's stuff eg disorder?

Yours hopefully :wink: .

M

Hi, its abit off topic - but will happily answer that. Thanks for the feedback and you are not alone in your view - it was commented to us several times during the Nov. event. We booked at very short notice having decided not to do Erotica again, so what we took was simply what were best sellers at that time to test the water so to speak and listen to the feedback. Yes more wedges, those are coming to April WGW, a few more mens as well as new styles not yet launched.
Mark
AF

AlternativeFootwear
Has no Jaffa Cakes

Post by AlternativeFootwear » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:00 pm

How can the LC improve for the visitor experience?

We spoke to many visitors who have been coming year after year, and quite a few who had never been before.

Most common questions asked:

1) Where can we stay? - perhaps a list of accomadation on the WGW info desk in the enterance - or even ask the local BnB/Hotel etc to send cards/fylers

2) Is this it? - Many ( mostly on the sunday ) thought that the LC was the only part of the weekend - didnt know the pavilion was on, or where it was - so perhaps a gaint map of YOU ARE HERE with a WHATS ON too in the enterance or outside the LC. & same at Pav too

3) Where to eat ? - again, some local info from local places to eat

4) What else is happening ? - Same as pont 2.

Anyone else got anything to add, or agree/disagree?

Tez
Full to Bursting with Lovely Jaffa Cakes

Post by Tez » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:00 am

AlternativeFootwear wrote:1) Where can we stay? - perhaps a list of accomadation on the WGW info desk in the enterance - or even ask the local BnB/Hotel etc to send cards/fylers
Accomodation in Whitby is VAST, probably take up too much space on the info desk lol, maybe better to advertise directions to the Tourist Inofrmation Centre who have a database of accomodation, plus direct them to this website, I think it was Glitter Goffick who posted a thread about recommended accomodation, make it a 'sticky'

2) Is this it? - Many ( mostly on the sunday ) thought that the LC was the only part of the weekend - didnt know the pavilion was on, or where it was - so perhaps a gaint map of YOU ARE HERE with a WHATS ON too in the enterance or outside the LC. & same at Pav too
A map appears on this website and in the WGW leaflet, wouldnt be too hard to make a few A2-A1 size copies to post in strategic places, maybe get goths to distribute some of the leaflets at their guesthouse, most of them have an 'info desk' of their own.

3) Where to eat ? - again, some local info from local places to eat
How about trying to drum up advertising in the leaflet, it would help pay for the publishing costs, you could also have 'unmanned' info desks in the LC, Met etc, which you stuff with leaflets, posters and business cards.

4) What else is happening ? - Same as pont 2.
Again, its advertised in the site intinery, it wouldnt be too hard to knock up some posters and stick em round town, as a matter of interest do WGW advertise in the Tourist Information Centre?
Do you realise the 'footfall' through that place??
They have a counter system on the door, footfall through the TIC can be anywhere between 2500 to 5000 perhour !!

Anyone else got anything to add, or agree/disagree?
Tez

so, the 'Hokey Cokey'...........is that really what its all about ???

MissDee
Jaffa Cakes? What Jaffa Cakes?!

Post by MissDee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 am

The first time I attended WGW as soon as I got home I researched more. I didn't know it was a music festival (I remember being stood in the spa saying "oh there must be bands on tonight" .... Dirty looks were given to us)
I had only heard of WGW through word of mouth and unfortunately no promoter can control what people choose to pass on to others. I find it difficult to see why it should lie with event organisers to explain there's hundreds of BnB's in a seaside town. Surely this is common sense? Tourist information has all the info needed from a tourist point of view like food and lodgings!
A map might be a good idea. Maybe 5 across the town at the big landmarks for the goth weekend (The Spa, LC, The Abbey, The Met and the whalebone arch?) Problem with this is how to display it and protect it from the weather?
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SienneDeaddoll
http://www.madamedees.co.uk

Tez

Post by Tez » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:59 am

MissDee wrote:A map might be a good idea. Maybe 5 across the town at the big landmarks for the goth weekend (The Spa, LC, The Abbey, The Met and the whalebone arch?) Problem with this is how to display it and protect it from the weather?

you could always ask goth shops to display in windows, they are nicely 'scattered' across the town, you would cover Church St, Skinner St, Flowergate, Pier Rd, Marine Parade, Baxtergate, Grape Lane, Sandgate, to name a few
Tez

so, the 'Hokey Cokey'...........is that really what its all about ???

delaskablack
Wants a Jaffa Cake

Post by delaskablack » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:23 pm

A map here and there would be great, and in the shops sounds like a good idea. A map would let me plan the best route that is not to tiring as I can't get about that well and I bet I am no the only one who would find this a help in planning their time

deadstuffgrum

Post by deadstuffgrum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:11 pm

Tez wrote:
MissDee wrote:A map might be a good idea. Maybe 5 across the town at the big landmarks for the goth weekend (The Spa, LC, The Abbey, The Met and the whalebone arch?) Problem with this is how to display it and protect it from the weather?

you could always ask goth shops to display in windows, they are nicely 'scattered' across the town, you would cover Church St, Skinner St, Flowergate, Pier Rd, Marine Parade, Baxtergate, Grape Lane, Sandgate, to name a few

That's a really good idea that'd avoid the need for weatherproofing and any council wrangling. Our b&b's normally got a load of WGW leaflets in by Thursday so somebody's presumably delivering them! Think DJ Wolfman mentioned he did some last time?

AlternativeFootwear
Has no Jaffa Cakes

Post by AlternativeFootwear » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Tez wrote:

Great idea - also, perhaps the shops/traders that arent in Whibty too - posters about the event, dates, tickets etc etc.. as most visitors to WGW travel.

So - can we please have some :) or at the very least something to print off, that the traders can display in their shops, at other events etc :)